My Story

On Monday, May 31, 2010, I embarked on a mission to lose weight and to get into the best shape of my life for my wedding. For a long time that mission was a success until life started getting stressful and food became a way to cope with that stress. To make a long story short, the mission fell short before my wedding day was here. And to make things even worse, I stopped eating healthy, exercising, and blogging for over two years. I now have a very beautiful wife and baby boy but my health is still crap. So to turn things around, I am brining back "The Heavy Man" and the "Mission to Healthy."

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day #162 - A Not So Productive Workout

I had every intention to execute my weight lifting routine today. However, I developed the urge to play basketball tonight instead. While at work today, a couple of my co-workers had brought up the conversation on how the NBA was shaping up so far this season. And by over hearing this conversation, it brought back some memories of myself playing basketball all the time, when I actually had the time to. I have been traveling a lot the last couple of years and that has caused me to not play as much any more. I actually used to play every Monday night and Sunday morning all through college. And I was pretty good, if I do say so myself.  However, the last time I was able to play was over 6 months ago.

So I spent a good portion my lunch time trying figure out if I should weight lift, like planned, or if I should go and play basketball instead. After thinking about it for a little bit, I came to the conclusion that I wanted try my luck tonight on the court. It is still a form of exercise, so it was not like I wasn't going to get a workout in today.  However, I haven't played in a while so I knew I was going to be a little rusty. I just wasn't prepared for how rusty I actually was.

I arrived at the court a little early, so I could stretch and properly warm up to play. The last thing I wanted to do was to pull a muscle or worse, embarrass myself in front of everyone I used to play with on a weekly basis. As soon as the first game started, I noticed that it was a little bit of a struggle to get up and down the court. It is a lot easier to run in a straight line but the game of basketball requires a lot of stop and go movements, which can get tiring very fast. I was breaking a sweat about 2 minutes into my first game. However the string of events that happened next, are what has caused me to realize just how rusty I actually was. First, while my team was on defense, a player from the other team went to go make a pass and threw it right at my head and I was a little slow to react. Second, right after that pass hit me, the player I was guarding got the ball as it deflected off of me. I went for the steal and some how ended up in back of him, where he then proceed to push his head back and hit me square in the nose. I immediately started to bleed and I had  little trouble seeing at first as everything went blurry for a second. After the blood had stopped, I wanted to continue because the game still wasn't over. A few plays later, is where the night had ended for me. While running down the court, I planted my foot and I tired to make a turn. As soon as I pushed off, a sharp pain went shooting into my lower back. I don't know exactly what happened but it left me limping out the door after my second game was over. I think it might have been safer for me to lift weights tonight.

Looking on the bright side, I did managed to get a 40 min cardio workout in tonight. However, my lower back is extremely sore and I hope it doesn't affect my workouts for the rest of this week. I think some aspirin and a good night sleep my help to reduce the pain. Maybe I should stick to running and weight lifting for now.

With that being said, let's get to the details of the day:

Meals of the Day (The Heavy Man - 36 Points)
(I am currently following the Weight Watcher's Points System)

Breakfast - 4 Eggo nutrigrain waffles = Points 4
Snacks During the Day - 1 serving of baked tostitos, 2 pears, 1 serving of mini rice cakes, and 1/2 serving of baked chips = Points 7
Early Afternoon - 1 serving of homemade Beef and Vegetable Cheese Casserole = Points 7
Late Afternoon - 1 serving of homemade Beef and Vegetable Cheese Casserole = Points 7
Dinner - 2 Boca veggie burgers on a piece of Weight Watcher's flat rye bread, with 2 slices of Weight Watcher's american cheese, and a serving of baked chips = Points 9
Dessert - 1 Weight Watcher's ice cream cup = Points 2

Total Points Eaten Today = 36 Points

Exercise

Today I decided to play basketball instead of lifting weights. I think that was a mistake because I was hit twice in the face (once I ended up with a bloody nose) and I also ended up hurting my lower back. I will definitely be back in the gym tomorrow.

Day #162 - Weigh-In = 232.8 lbs
Day #162 Weigh-In











Day #162 Front Shot






3 comments:

  1. Who knew basketball was that physical!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let this event turn you away from doing it again! You'll be more aware next time! Well done on the food!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I think is key here is you were considering between two work out options. You werent considering a run thru the drive thru or an evening drinking beer. And you chose one,so hats off to you for your commitment. The physical set backs from the bball surely unfortunate, but you will heal. Keep making choices for you, and you will keep knocking down the distance between you & your goals.

    ReplyDelete