My Story

On Monday, May 31, 2010, I embarked on a mission to lose weight and to get into the best shape of my life for my wedding. For a long time that mission was a success until life started getting stressful and food became a way to cope with that stress. To make a long story short, the mission fell short before my wedding day was here. And to make things even worse, I stopped eating healthy, exercising, and blogging for over two years. I now have a very beautiful wife and baby boy but my health is still crap. So to turn things around, I am brining back "The Heavy Man" and the "Mission to Healthy."

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day #22 - The Heavy Man's Diary, Travel Series Part 2a

I had almost forgotten how much traveling, can take a toll on your body. I mentioned before in a few posts, I have been working in a business field that demands a lot of my time. Of course, I can clock out at 6pm everyday if I wanted too, but then I would be stuck always trying to catch up. I used to travel every single weekend from February 1st to August 1st. I would constantly find my self struggling to stay healthy, not only with my weight but my physical health as well. I had gotten so sick once, that I was forced to take a week off by my boss. I developed, at an early age, a work ethic that some would call "borderline obsessive." If I am not working I go crazy. This little "obsessive work" problem, was one of the reasons why my health both, weight related and physical, went crashing in a downward spiral.

I now take it easy with the traveling. I had told my current boss, right before he hired me, that I did not want to travel every weekend. I was open to traveling every once and a while when it called for it, but every weekend was out of the question. I am currently right now in Charleston, SC on business. Hoping that I will never fall into that black hole again, I was determined to come out of this trip with positive results.

I woke up this morning at 7am to catch a 10am flight at an airport that was about an hour away from where I live. Believe me when I say, I was set to travel for the next three days. Armed with a package of rice cakes, a box of Special K bars, my Weight Watchers Points Books, my Weight Watchers Points Calculator, my vitamins, workout clothes, my new scale, my camera, and my bottle of water I was out door heading to the airport.

I spent the entire morning and a good part of the afternoon in the air. I have to say something before I proceed with the rest of today's post. Do they make seats on airplanes for larger people? Every flight I have ever been on has the smallest seats!!! If you are plus size and you can't fit in a regular seat you either have to purchase two seats right next to each other or you have to shell out more money to sit in first class. I do not think that is fair. I know being over weight is a problem that we, as individuals, have to control ourselves. But coming from a lot of years of being over weight, it is not easy control. I would hope that one day, some airline company will make it a little more comfortable for people with weight issues to fly.

Anyway, after I landed in Columbus, SC, I drove another 2 hours to Charleston. Let me tell you what, there is a Subway restaurant literally every ten miles and it doesn't matter which major highway you are on. You will find a Subway some how. I finally got to the hotel around 6pm today and after a full day of traveling I was tired. But of course, my workaholic curse came out to play and I forced myself to finish a few things before I sat down to write my blog for today. In the past, I would have worked, ate dinner, and went to sleep after a long day of traveling. However, I went out of my way to find myself a healthy dinner and I worked out at the hotel gym!!! Yes, I survived the day without straying from the mission.

With that being said, let's get to the details of the day:

Meals of the Day (The Heavy Man = 41 Points)
(For everyone who is new to the blog, I follow the Weight Watchers Points System)

Breakfast - 2 Special K Bars, Fruit Cup, and a 6oz serving of Chobani Strawberry Greek Yogurt  = Points 8
Early Afternoon Meal - Grilled Chicken Sandwich with a side of apple slices (Burger King in the Charlotte Airport) = Points 11
Late Afternoon Meal - 6' Turkey sub on whole wheat bread with a slice of american cheese and a bag pf baked chips (Subway while driving 2 hours to Charleston, SC) = Points 9
Dinner - Ham and Swiss cheese on whole wheat roll with a cup fruit cup = Points 13
Dessert - 2 chocolate rice cakes = Points 2

Total Points Eaten Today = 43 points (2 points over my limit). I consider this a very big win while traveling.

Exercise

I pushed my self after a long day of traveling to run for 30 mins on the elliptical machine at the hotel fitness center. Tomorrow I am going to do my upper body workout plan. I will post the results on tomorrow's post.

Day #22 - Weigh-In = 285.0 lbs
Day #22 Weigh-In










Day #22 Front Shot
(In the Hotel Room)

No comments:

Post a Comment