My Story

On Monday, May 31, 2010, I embarked on a mission to lose weight and to get into the best shape of my life for my wedding. For a long time that mission was a success until life started getting stressful and food became a way to cope with that stress. To make a long story short, the mission fell short before my wedding day was here. And to make things even worse, I stopped eating healthy, exercising, and blogging for over two years. I now have a very beautiful wife and baby boy but my health is still crap. So to turn things around, I am brining back "The Heavy Man" and the "Mission to Healthy."

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day #118 - To "Cheat Day" or not to "Cheat Day"..... That is the Question

Last weekend I wrote about how I am starting to incorporate a "Cheat Day" into the eating portion of my mission. When I say "Cheat Day" I mean one or two meals during a single day of the week, either Saturday or Sunday, where I can eat unhealthy foods. The purpose of this "Cheat Day" is to feed my junk food cravings for the week. By doing this, I keep my eating habits honest and it works to perfection. Usually after a "Cheat Day", I am chomping at the bit to jump back into eating healthy for the up coming week.

However, coming into this weekend, I knew I was going to be facing a dilemma pertaining to which day I was going to utilize as my "Cheat Day." It made perfect sense to use my "Cheat Day" on Saturday (today) because Patty and I are going to be attending a birthday party and the father of the child is a cook. So right there, I knew I was going to be heading into a battle with my "Will Power" because I will be surrounded by great tasting food. On the other hand, I like saving my "Cheat Day" for Sunday because I usually try to relax and watch football. What better day to eat unhealthy then on Sundays. So you can obviously see that I was conflicted about which day to choose.

Well, I can tell you that my decision was made as soon as the lids came off of the food trays at the party today. I had eaten a nice healthy breakfast and lunch today, hoping I would be able to make through the party and coast into Sunday with a "Cheat Day" in my back pocket. But as soon as the people sitting next to me sat down with their plates full of food, I jumped up and made my way towards the buffet line. I had folded, like I thought I would, and had my "Cheat Day" today.

After the party was over, my stomach was letting me know exactly how it was feeling after eating. To be honest, I really didn't stuff myself at all. But it wasn't until I had a piece of birthday cake that I really knew I was going to be in for a long night. I ended eating around 5:00pm and amazingly, I wasn't hungry for the rest of the night, but my stomach was still upset. Now, usually when I have a "Cheat Day" I don't workout because I am afraid that my stomach will react even worse after I put it through some physical activity. However, I weighed in at 248.2 lbs this morning and I was nervous about having a little set back after getting into the 248 pound range. So around 11:30pm, I decided to go running outside. To make a long story short, I ended up running for 35 mins straight (a new personal best outside) and surprisingly my stomach ended up settling a little. Who knew that exerciseing tonight would be the key to helping my stomach feel better.

With that being said, let's get to the details of the day:

Meals of the Day (The Heavy Man - 37 Points)
(I am currently following the Weight Watchers Points System)

*Today was a "Cheat Day" and I normally don't record my daily points on a "Cheat Day" because they will be over my daily limit regardless.

Breakfast - 2 Eggo nutrigrain waffles with a serving of strawberries
Lunch - 1 serving of homemade Chicken Cordon Bleu (Weight Watchers Recipe) with a side of whole wheat pasta with parmesan cheese
Dinner - I had some pasta with broccoli, some chicken, some lasagna, and some sausage and peppers.
Dessert - I had a piece of birthday cake

Exercise

Today I ran for 35 mins outside. Tomorrow I will be doing cardio outside as well.

Day #118 - Weigh-In = 248.2 lbs
Day #118 Weigh-In











Day #118 Front Shot




5 comments:

  1. A cheat day is fantastic. Eat perfectly all week, exercise like a real athlete, and then blow it all on crappy food. Great plan. C'mon, you are working your ass off, I know it trust me, and you eat some cake. You don't want it, you don't need it, don't eat it. It's just food, then it's poop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think having a cheat day makes perfect sense, but don't call it that....you're not cheating, you're chosing to eat in a way that you will be able to sustain once you get to goal. If you want to have something, have it...in moderation, and then get back on the money the following day. It seems to work for you...so good luck to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allan,

    I appreciate your honesty. From my experience, having a meal or two that deviates from my normal weight loss plan does not hurt. It is virtually impossible to gain all the weight back after a single day per week.

    I use it as a tool to keep myself sane, during this long journey, to be in the best shape of my life. It has worked for me and has really helped to control my junk food cravings during the week. I am not saying that it will work for everyone and I am definitley not trying to preach that everyone should do it. I am just sharing with you all, that it has worked for me.

    Thank you once again for your honesty.

    Best Wishes,

    - The Heavy Man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katrina,

    I did not think of it that way and I think what you said makes perfect sense. I hope the rest of your weekend is awesmoe. Talk to you soon.

    - The Heavy Man

    ReplyDelete