My Story

On Monday, May 31, 2010, I embarked on a mission to lose weight and to get into the best shape of my life for my wedding. For a long time that mission was a success until life started getting stressful and food became a way to cope with that stress. To make a long story short, the mission fell short before my wedding day was here. And to make things even worse, I stopped eating healthy, exercising, and blogging for over two years. I now have a very beautiful wife and baby boy but my health is still crap. So to turn things around, I am brining back "The Heavy Man" and the "Mission to Healthy."

Friday, September 24, 2010

Day #117 - A Reminder of How Far I Have Come

Why can't losing and then maintaining the lost weight ever be easy? The last few months have definitely been an up and down adventure. Since the start of my "Mission to Healthy" I have seen good days and not so good days. But the end result, is that main goal, I am shooting to accomplish. I have mentioned it before a few times, that I have had weight issues for my entire adult life. And I have come to the conclusion that I will have to be aware of this issue for the rest of my life. I can honestly say, after what I have already been through, that I really don't mind having to face this problem for the rest of my life. I have realized by dealing with my weight issues, it has turned me into a much better person. Before my mission, I really didn't give a crap about my health. I ate because it helped me escape from the stresses I had at work and in life. I used food as a means to make myself mentally feel better. I know it sounds weird, but that is what I did. And before I could do anything to help myself out, I was falling deeper out of control.

My physical shape was so bad, that I really didn't want to move or do any activity because I had trouble breathing and I would get pains in my chest. I would constantly wake up in the middle of the night choking and I actually had thrown up a couple of times because of it. I would actually go to bed fearing that I would have a heart attack in the middle of the night. It wasn't until I received a wake up call from my mother, that I started to get my act together. From that point on, I made a promise to myself to better my health as well as my life in the process. That is how my "Mission to Healthy" was born.

Soon after I started the mission, I could see results. And of course being able to see those results gave me some motivation to keep on going. After a few days, I started to receive comments and words of encouragement from not only my family but my friends as well. I then started to receive tips and advice from people I never met before. And that actually left me speechless. Here were these people who never met me before but were so kind to lend a helping hand. Days turned into weeks and weeks started to turn into months. The weight was continuing to come off and I started to feel like an actual person once again.

I believe that lessons I have been learning along the way and the healthy habits I have been building upon, have really helped to make me a better person. And by going through this transformation, I have learned the importance of being responsible, not only with my health but with my life as well. It has gotten to a point were eating healthy, exercising, and writing this blog has become second nature. Each of these important parts had become a part of my every day life. Of course, I have learned that taking care of my own health is important. But also being a shoulder to lean on, for everyone who is struggling with these same issues as I am, has become very important to me as well. I am thankful for where this mission has taken me so far, but it is not done for me yet at all.

I appreciate you all letting me speak from my heart tonight. A lot of this stuff that I mentioned in this post, I have shared with you before, on numerous accounts. I just like to remind myself where I was and how far I have traveled to get to where I am today. I am very thankful for getting a second chance at changing my health and my life around.

With that being said, let's get to the details of the day:

Meals of the Day (The Heavy Man - 37 Points)
(I am currently following the Weight Watchers Points System)

Breakfast - Egg whites on a nutrigrain roll with a slice of american cheese = Points 7
Snacks During the Day - 1 Weight Watchers brownie, 1 Weight Watchers carrot cake, 3 rice cakes, and a serving of baked tostitios with mango salsa = Points 8
Lunch - 1 serving of homemade Chicken Cordon Bleu (Weight Watchers Recipe) with a side of 99% fat free egg noodles and peas = Points 13
Dinner - 1 serving of homemade Crusty Pork Tenderloin with a side of baked apples and sweet potatoes (Weight Watchers Recipe) = Points 10
Dessert - 1 Weight Watchers ice cream bar = Points 3

Total Points Eaten Today = 41 Points (4 points over my daily limit)

Exercise

Today I executed the weight lifting and strength training portion of my workout routine: Dumbbell Press, Seated Row with Straight Bar, and Leg Extensions (4 sets of each x 15 reps each), Chest Flyes, Lateral Dumbbell Raises, and Hammer Curls with rope (4 sets of each x 15 reps of each), Straight Arm Push Downs, Rear Delt Flyes, and Leg Press (4 sets of each x 15 reps of each), and Crunches with 10 lbs, Triceps Push Downs, and Dumbbell Side Bends (4 sets of each x 15 reps each). Tomorrow I will be running outside for cardio.

Day #117 - Weigh-In = 249.8 lbs
Day #117 Weigh-In









Day #117 Front Shot







3 comments:

  1. I say we never forget. Never forget where we were. And certainly never forget each step we've made along the way to becoming healthy. There will always be others like us, just as we are now surrounded by others doing the same thing we are. If we just stay connected, sharing our days, and where we've been and how we got to where we are today; we surely help each other & ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick,

    I could not have said it better myself!

    Have a great weekend.

    - The Heavy Man

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on coming so far! It sounds like you've been changing a lot more than just the number on the scale and that's a great thing.

    ReplyDelete