My Story

On Monday, May 31, 2010, I embarked on a mission to lose weight and to get into the best shape of my life for my wedding. For a long time that mission was a success until life started getting stressful and food became a way to cope with that stress. To make a long story short, the mission fell short before my wedding day was here. And to make things even worse, I stopped eating healthy, exercising, and blogging for over two years. I now have a very beautiful wife and baby boy but my health is still crap. So to turn things around, I am brining back "The Heavy Man" and the "Mission to Healthy."

Friday, June 18, 2010

Day #19 - Junk Food Fever

Well, I knew it was only a matter of time before that feeling would hit me. I was doing so well for the last 19 days because I had a lot to keep me distracted. Then all of a sudden it is Friday night, I can sleep in Saturday morning, all my friends wanted to go out. That feeling, that craving that I had deep inside was the longing to grab all of the junk food I can get my hands on and pig out. I wanted, so bad, tonight to just order a pizza with extra cheese and eat about five slices. Then I would cap off the night with a nice big bowl of ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream. Then reality set in and my brain kicked into high gear. I was getting flash backs of how uncomfortable I was feeling about three weeks ago after eating large amounts of junk food in one sitting. I will never go back to feeling like my stomach is going to explode ever again.  Thanksgiving dinner of course is an exception. Sorry..... lol.

So, I was determined to not give in to my temptation of eating about 30 lbs of junk food. After my decision was final, the second issue of the night started to take form. What was I going to eat for dinner? Anyone ever have one of those nights were you don't fell like having anything in particular? Then it turns into, well I had that last night and I don't feel like having that other thing tonight. When I get like that, my fiancee wants to put me right through a wall. Luckily when I am having one of those indecisive nights, I turn to walking to the super market in hoping that I will find something that jumps out of me. When I arrived at the food store, I was armed with my Weight Watchers Points book and my Weight Watchers Points calculator (a great tool in times like this). After searching for a few minutes, I came across a green box in the frozen foods section that had the name "Morning Star Farms" on it. My fiancee turns to me and says that a lot of what "Morning Star Farms" makes is vegetarian. I looked at the picture and notice that it was a box of chicken nuggets. Veggie chicken nuggets???? How in the heck does that work???? So, I whipped out my points calculator and found out that it came out to 1 point per nugget. I figured that since I am trying to expand my food selection, I would give the veggie chicken nuggets a try.  I found the "meat" part of the dinner and now it was time to look for the side dish. I ended up gravitating towards the "Smart Ones" section which just so happens to be the Weight Watchers frozen food brand. I really want to stay away from the frozen pre-made foods as much as possible but I was hungry and didn't feel much like cooking. Anyway to make a long story short, I over came my temptation for junk food, took a walk to the food store, and purchased a nice healthy & filling meal. I would say that this was a winning solution to the obstacle of the night.

With that being said, let's get to the details of the day:

Meals of the Day (The Heavy Man = 41 Points)
(For everyone new to the blog, I am following the Weight Watchers Points System)

Breakfast - 2 rice cakes, egg whites on whole wheat toast with a slice of american cheese = Points 9
Lunch - Chicken salad with fat free french dressing (Wendy's) = Points 15
Snack - 2 rice cakes = Points 2
Dinner - 10 veggie chicken nuggets with a side of Mac-n-Cheese from "Smart Ones" = Points 16
Dessert - Peanut Butter Ice Cream Bar (Weight Watchers) = Points 3

Total Points Eaten Today = 45 Points (I went 4 points over my limit) I consider this a win tonight based on the craving that I had for junk food earlier.

Exercise

I had a softball game tonight. I felt lighter on my feet and I was running around the bases a lot easier. I have a full day planned tomorrow of activities for my fiancee and I that involves constant movement. We are sure to have a hell of a workout tomorrow. Tune into tomorrow's post (Day #20) to find out what we did.

Day #19 - Weigh-In = 286.4 lbs
Day #19 Weigh-In











Day #19 - Front Shot

4 comments:

  1. Good job, you didn't give in to temptation!!! Keep going your doing great!

    xox Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see you didn't give in to your junk food craving. as hard as it was to do that, just know that it will get easier over time.

    here are some food suggestions that really worked for me:

    oatmeal is great for breakfast. high in fiber and will keep you satisfied until lunch. and it doesn't have to be plain either. ocean spray has 3 different flavors that i think are all great, and i like to mix them together sometimes. my favorite quaker flavor is raisin date and walnut. at first, i would eat 4 packets for breakfast, with other things like yogurt and fresh fruit. but after a week or two, i didn't need to eat as much...just in case you try it and think you're eating way too much oatmeal to feel satisfied. the other flavors with whatever fruit and cream have more added sugar, so i tried to stay away from them as much as possible.

    limit added sugar. the sugar in fruit is natural and fruit is high in fiber so its fine to eat some at every meal, and as a snack. and cottage cheese goes great with fresh berries...something else i'd eat with my oatmeal at breakfast, or maybe with my lunch, or for dessert. I draw the line at 4% milkfat cottage cheese, anything lower than that just tastes too "thin" to me, if that makes sense. so cottage cheese with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries all mixed together is fabulous. it also goes great with fresh pineapple and melon.

    greek yogurt is great. my favorite is Faye, but its a bit expensive. Chobani is a great one, too. no high fructose corn syrup in either (even the fruit on the bottom/side) and they come in 2% and even 0 fat. chobani fruit on the bottom peach is not very good, but the other flavors are great. i would recommend them to anyone.

    fresh/frozen veggies...i'm not a fan. but just like with other things i eat to keep the weight off, i don't always like what i eat, but i eat it because i know its the only way. frozen edemame (soybeans) doesn't really taste like anything, as long as you boil them until they're soft. then you can mix them into a salad or with other veggies and put a little butter and salt on them. don't worry if you need a little butter and salt to get the veggies down. a little isn't going to hurt if that's what you have to do to get yourself to eat them. its something i learned to like more and more over time. and a salad made with baby spinach is great because you want to eat the darkest greens you can find for nutritional value. i would always say to myself "if i'm going to put calories in, i want them to be beneficial calories. if the calories are positive, then i'm still working toward my goal and i'm fueling my body at the same time. food is fuel."

    some other tips i can share are to limit carbs after lunch. i would never advocate eliminating carbs entirely. but carbs do tend to turn into pounds so limiting them to morning and early afternoon allows for time to burn that energy off so its not sitting with you all night while you're sleeping.

    don't forget that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. breakfast every day.

    and try to set a dinner time and try to stick to a rule about what, if anything, you'll allow yourself to eat after dinner. my dinner time rule is nothing but water after dinner (6 or 7pm), unless i'm with friends or celebrating an occasion. there are exceptions to every rule.

    i hope i'm not coming off as a know-it-all. these are just a few tips that i can share with you because its what worked for me. the biggest tip is don't get discouraged. there will be bad days. there will be meals that you'll regret because they were out of your control. but its not about every meal, or every day, being perfect. its about the big picture...the goal. a healthy lifestyle and a healthy you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    I don't think you are coming off as a know-it- all. You are a person who has the experience and knowledge to share with people who are struggling with a serious problem that effects a portion of this world's population. I applaud you for stepping up and sharing this advice with not only me but everyone who follows this blog who goes through the same struggles, and even people who are not struggling with weight issues but are trying to help a friend or family member cope with theirs.

    I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support. That is whole purpose of this mission and the blog. It is building a support network to help those of us who are in need of help.

    Please feel free to keep sharing any tips, advice, or even just to comment to say "Hi."

    -The Heavy Man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morningstar farms is AWESOME! Try the breakfast sausages - and, if you're craving ribs - their vegetarian ribs will fool even the most carniverous carnivores. Ive eaten oatmeal for breakfast every day since December or so - I make it with quaker quick oats, dried cranberries and orange extract, and it tastes like a cranberry orange muffin!! no sugar needed because the dried berries are so sweet, and its SUPER filling. Sub out lean ground turkey breast (make sure its turkey BREAST...lean ground turkey isn't as good) for red meat anytime you're craving a burger or a taco. You're doing such a great job! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete